Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A Month/Year In Review: December 2013

I can't believe it's already the end of December! This is going to be quite a long post. First, I'm going to try to pick my top thirteen books of the year (not in order because no). Then I'll have my regular AMiR highlights. Then who knows?

Top Thirteen Books I Read in 2013
(In no particular order)


1. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
Amazing characters, world building, suspense, plot, everything.
Made me remember how much I love epic fantasy and how little of the genre I've read recently.

2. This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales
This book just understood.
Mostly character driven and would mostly be enjoyed by those who've felt similarly.


3. Perfect Ruin by Lauren DeStefano
Amazing prose, lovely characters, intriguing concept.
Also one of the most physically beautiful books ever.

4. Crewel by Gennifer Albin
Interesting, new concept. Well-written characters. Really enjoyed it.
It was a can't-stand-the-wait-for-book-2 type book.


5. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Perfect for all fangirls/boys, especially Potterheads.
Well-written, relate-able, one of my top reads ever. 

6. Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys
Reminded me of how much I love historical fiction.
Amazing characters, great character-driven plot, well-written historical fiction.
One of my top reads ever.


7. Once We Were by Kat Zhang
Amazing prose, unique concept, well-written characters.
Left me needing book 3.

8. Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard
Lots of action. Great characters. One of my favorite heroines.
Zombies! Daniel! <3 Couldn't wait for book 2.


9. You Knew Me When by Emily Liebert
Character driven. Not YA. Well written. Invested in characters.
Made me cry and laugh. Makes you want to hug your best friend.

10. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
Love the concept. Love the setting.
Intriguing characters. Great plot. Lovely book, inside and out.


11. Fire & Flood by Victoria Scott
(This doesn't come out until next year, but I just finished reading it.)
Fast paced. Amazing main AND supporting characters. 
Everything The Hunger Games wasn't (and more).
Also, Pandoras!

12. Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
Cute. Quick read. Great for holidays.

13. Prodigy by Marie Lu
Much better than Legend.
Intense. Action packed. Plot twists. Well-written plot and characters.

Honorable Mention: 
Sekret by Lindsay Smith (ARC), Altered by Gennifer Albin, What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang

Top Five Movies/TV Shows I Watched in 2013
(In no particular order)


1. Orphan Black (BBC America)
Fast paced. Intriguing. Clones.
Fantastic and extremely talented cast.


2. Frozen
Cute. Inspirational. Amazing soundtrack.
Unexpected ending. Exceeded expectations.


3. Graceland (USA Network)
(I am admittedly a few episodes behind.)
Great cast. Interesting characters.
Great mix of talents, agencies, and plots.


4. Catching Fire
Better than the books (I'm not a fan of THG books as a whole).
Well done. For the most part, outstanding cast.
Cinna! Johanna! Finnick! Haymitch! 'Nuf said.


5. Fringe (Fox)
Amazing series finale. Sad that it's over.
Fantastic well-rounded, diverse cast and characters.

Honorable Mentions:
NCIS:LA, Psych: The Musical and Psych's 100th episode, Elementary

5 Blog Related Things
1) Cal and I kicked off the What's In the Snow? event!
2) I reviewed a picture book for the first time ever
3) I'm almost done with the new blog. Just a few things I need to fix/edit/add before the new year.
4) I got back into the blogging spirit
5) Preparing to wrap up my time at this URL

5 Personal Things
1) Caught up on some shows; started watching some other shows
2) Started practicing typography (send me quotes if you'd like!)
3) Started planning a huge fundraising project
4) Got more bruises from dance than I could ever care for
5) I kind of can't remember much, but my aunt visited!

I suppose that's it for now. I hope you all had a wonderful month and year! Happy Holidays! The next time I post, it'll be about my move to a new blog URL! Make sure you stop by and check it out. (Actually, I'll have to post my What's In the Snow? post, so after that post!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts. Let me know in the comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...